Medical education in Bangladesh is lagging far behind to fulfill the national requirement even in this 21st century. Every year a large number of students willing to build their career in the field of medical science, are unfortunately deprived from the opportunity of getting admitted in the medical colleges of Bangladesh due to inadequate seats. In this context, Dr. Sirajul Islam Medical College (Dr.SIMC) is a humble initiative to provide scope for these candidates to study medical science and contribute to the health sector development of Bangladesh.
Aim: The aim of Dr. SIMC is to produce diverse and vibrant medical graduates to provide highly competent doctors to the country.
Objective: To provide appropriate learning environment where medical students will acquire sound theoretical and practical knowledge, to conduct research in the field of medicine and to raise the standard of medical education in the country.
An academic calendar is provided to every student to help him/her understand the schedule for the whole year. Every student is also assigned to a particular member of the faculty for guidance regarding individual problems.
A beautifully developed modern campus with well-equipped academic and hospital buildings is the eye catching landmark of the locality. The college campus consists of a 12 storied modern academic building attached with a 21 storied and 500 bedded hospital at the heart of the Dhaka City.
Address : 12/3, New Circular Road, Moghbazar, Dhaka-1217, Bangladesh
Phone : +88-02-49341887, 48322121 (Hot Line)
Cell : +88-01969610422
Fax : +88-02-9351887
E-mail : email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org
Web : www.drsimc.com.
Year of Establishment : 2011
Course Offered : MBBS (Dhaka University)
Curriculum : Curriculum of Bangladesh Medical & Dental Council (BMDC) updated-2012 and adopted by the Faculty of Medicine of Dhaka University.
Degree : The degree awarded is Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery (MBBS).
Language : Language of instruction is English.
The College is affiliated with the Dhaka University since 31 December, 2011.
The college is recognized by the Ministry of Health & Family Welfare as well as by the Bangladesh Medical and Dental Council.
The academic building is furnished with the basic and paraclinical departments such as: Anatomy, Physiology, Biochemistry, Pathology, Microbiology, Pharmacology, Forensic Medicine and Community Medicine. This building also comprises of dissection room, museum, galleries, lecture halls, class rooms, tutorial rooms as well as supporting experimental laboratories for the students. The departments are spacious with well equipped modern teaching facilities.
The clinical departments such as Medicine, Surgery, Gynaecology & Obstetrics, Pediatrics, Ophthalmology, ENT, Cardiology, Oncology, Orthopedic Surgery, Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery, Radiology & Imaging, Anesthesiology etc. are situated in the hospital building. These include spacious wards, cabins, emergency, ICU, CCU, NICU, PICU and full fledged teaching facilities.
The library is capacious, well furnished with comfortable sitting arrangement, located in the academic building. It has a vast collection of medical textbooks, reference books, monographs, national and international journals of various subjects which provide up to date information to the students and teachers. The library is also equipped with computers with internet facility. It has user friendly access system. The library is provided with separate reading areas for students and teachers. It remains open from 8:00am to 8:00pm on all working days and is closed only on Fridays and national holidays.
At Dr. SIMC, there are separate hostel accommodation available for both local and foreign students. The hostel building for foreign students is within a short walking distance from the college campus. The entire 5 storied hostel complex for foreign students can accommodate fifty students. The building has well furnished rooms with a separate kitchen in each floor. It ensures an excellent, safe & peaceful environment for the students to study. Moreover, the hostel also provides recreational facilities both in the common room and even outdoors, as the building is enclosed with a beautiful lawn at the entrance of the complex. There is a cafeteria and strong security arrangement in the hostel.
The Academic Council of the college is composed of Principal, Vice-Principal and the senior faculty members ranging from Professors to Assistant Professors of all the departments of the college.
Academic Council is the highest decision making authority of the college regarding all academic activities, administrative matters and student issues relating to the college.
The decisions of the Academic Council within the legal framework of the country and not in conflict with the rules of the Directorate of Health Services, Bangladesh Medical and Dental Council and the University of Dhaka, will be the obligatory binding for all the teachers, officers, employees as well as the students of the college.
- Four Lecture halls with state of the art audiovisual facilities.
- Adequate spacious class rooms for all departments.
- Laboratories for different departments.
- Central computerized library with internet facility.
- Office space for college Administration and Management.
- All facilities mentioned above are fully air-conditioned.
- Prayer room for the students & staff.
- Cafeteria facilities for the students, teachers & staff.
- Residence for students.
Principal is the executive head of the college. He is guided by the Governing Body in all administrative and financial matters. Chairman is the executive head of the Governing body. He guides the Principal in all relevant matters of the college. The Principal is advised by the Academic Council in academic matters. The college runs on self-financing and non-profit basis. Deficits on capital and development, if any, are aided by Dr. Sirajul Islam Medical College Hospital (Dr.SIMCH) fund.
Teaching is imparted through lectures, tutorials, demonstrations, practical classes, institutional visits, guided study tour and surveys on health problems. Teaching aids such as overhead projectors, slide projectors, multimedia projectors, laser pointers and television with various video cassettes, computers with teaching CD ROMs are used in the teaching of students.
Student attendance is recorded in attendance registers. Regular attendance is compulsory and students are liable for fine of taka one hundred per day for failing to attend classes without permission. Students are eligible to appear in the Dhaka University professional examinations only if they have minimum 75% attendance in classes in the respective subject. An academic calendar is provided to every student to help him/her understand the schedule for the year. Every student is also assigned to a particular member of the faculty for guidance with regard to individual problems.
Student assessments are made through periodic class examinations: Item, Card and Term (written, oral and practical) examinations.
Students are allowed in the library from 8:00 am to 8:00 pm on all working days of the week except on Fridays and national holidays. They are allowed to read and also permitted to borrow books from the library. No food, drink and unnecessary discussion is allowed inside the library.
Teachers and staff are selected through Specific Selection Committees. Teachers have to possess requisite qualifications, experience and publications as per requirements of Bangladesh Medical and Dental Council.
Students are encouraged to participate in extra-curricular activities such as:
- Sports and games.
- Common room activities.
- Literary activities such as debate, seminar, publication of annual magazine.
- Cultural activities.
- Annual Picnic
- Humanitarian services such as free blood donation and free medicine supply for poor patients, relief works during natural calamities such as cyclones, floods, epidemics etc.
Committees consisting of Teachers and Students (Teachers-Students Committees) supervise these activities.
Guardians' advice related to the college affairs is appreciated. Guardians' Advisory Committee consists of members who are selected among the guardians of the students. All guardians are invited to meet up with the College Authority as or when required.
Academic Council and Guardians Advisory Committee meet when necessary. They discuss all aspects of academic matters of the college and suggest measures for improving the academic environment.
Students must observe strict discipline in the college. On disciplinary grounds the following penalties may be imposed on a student, depending on the nature of offence.
- Suspension from college classes
- Expulsion from the college (temporarily or permanently)
Penalty/penalties imposed on a student will be recorded in his/her Transcript/Testimonial.
A students name may be removed from college register under the following circumstances:
>> Remaining absent from classes for more than three months without prior information.
>> On disciplinary grounds, as per decision of the Academic Council.
>> Non-payment of college dues within three months of due date of payment.
If a student's name is removed from the College Register due to non-payment of dues, he/she may be re-admitted provided he/she pays full arrear dues and a fine of Tk.7,500/- within 3(three) months of removal of the name from the register.
If a student remains absent for more than three months but less than twelve months he/she may be re-admitted on recommendation by the Academic Council after full payment of arrear dues plus a fine of Tk. 10,000/-
However if a student remains absent for more than twelve months he/she will not be admitted into the College except on special cases permitted by the Academic Council of the college on payment of all arrear dues and fine.
- Students have to carry their "IDENTITY CARDS" when in the college.
- Students are expected to .attend classes in clean well pressed clothes and white apron.
- Fashionable dress, cosmetics, untidy hair, slippers are discouraged in the college campus.
- Rings, bangles are impediment in the classes.
- Environment should be kept clean. Students shall throw litters into waste bins.
- Pasting of posters on the walls of the college and the hospital premises are prohibited. These are considered as acts of indiscipline and the offenders involved are liable for punishment.
- Closing of college, hospital, and department gates or doors and creating obstacles in the normal functioning are act of gross indiscipline and students involved in such acts are liable to be expelled from college.
- All types of demonstrations, processions, shouting in the college and hospital premises are strictly prohibited and students involved in them are liable to be expelled from college.
- Abstentions from classes individually or in a mass without prior permission and without valid reasons are punishable by imposition of daily fine of Tk. l00/- individually. Guardians must maintain contact with respective Phase Coordinators to ensure that their son/daughter is attending classes regularly and performing satisfactorily.
- Students will state their problems/inconveniences to the counseling Body in their respective Phase. The Counseling Body will solve the problem or refer it to the Principal if necessary. Statement of the problems/inconveniences by the students must be in a disciplined manner. Any act or indiscipline on the part of any student including usage of abusive or objectionable words or sentences will make the student liable to be punished by expulsion from the college.
- Students must not misbehave with the staff or employees of the college. Misbehavior is an act of indiscipline and liable for punishment.
- The students are expected to maintain the highest standard in their academic and private lives. Loss of moral and addiction to alcohol, smoking or narcotics are punishable.
- At the time of admission into the college, students and parents/guardians will have to sign a bond that their children/wards will abide by the rules and regulations of the college.
- Every student shall procure himself/herself all the prescribed text books, dissecting instruments, and medical equipment. The college will not supply these to the students.
- Leave: in case of illness or other unavoidable reasons of non-attendance, a written statement from the parent/guardian should be presented to the conceded guide teacher, who in turn will submit it to the Principal for approval.
- Receiving private coaching from any teacher of Dr. SIMC is strictly prohibited,
- Cost of loss/damage to college hospital property is liable to be realized from the student who is found responsible for the loss/damage of the college/hospital property.
- Political activities are not permitted in the college.